Here is the tutorial for my Pottery Barn Decorative Objects that I featured yesterday.
Getting this look for less is so simple,
it made me wonder why I didn't do this so much earlier???
I had started putting the candlesticks together with the finials and started painting them and then just moved on to another project. I purchased the smaller candlesticks for 29 cents each at Goodwill. A few of the finals came from there as well.
I had already started painting them when I remembered to take a before pic!
Lets get to the steps;
This is the base for the largest finial.
It is metal and started out black.
The two pieces were attached with Gorilla Glue.
The cup of the base is so deep that this took a lot of glue!!
One end of these pieces had a screw and the other end had an opening.
I enlarged the small opening with my drill and screwed the two pieces together.
I did enforce the bond with Gorilla Glue.
Here it is with 3 pieces put together.
A untrained monkey could do this!
The other finials were simply glued together!
Lets move on the the paint finish....
Each pieces was spray painted black.
Once dry I went over it with a cream color spray paint.
Next, I hand painted each one with a latex semi gloss paint.
My paint choice is Valspar Angels.
Once dry, I took 80 grit sand paper and distressed them until I liked how it looked.
Glazing is the final step.
I slather the glaze all over the finial and wipe off slowly until I achieve the look I was after.
I hope you will take a stab at creating a cheaper version of the catalogs we all love!
I am not stopping here!
Go visit more before & afters with Kim at Southern Savvy Style